Pages

Friday, July 25, 2014

Garden Jewel

 Oh boy, this was so much fun to work on.  I wanted something bold like the hot summer colors we are having now in the wild flowers and the quick appearance of the hummingbird residence.  I always hear them before I ever see any, but this year I have only about 2 or 3 coming to my feeder.  Very sad and yet it did inspire me to work on tihs little bird.

The size is 15x20 1/2 inches which is a great size for some of the fancy little art quilt hangers you can find almost anywhere these days.  This was on loan from a friend for the photos and this image was taken outside on the concrete in mottled light.   I don't think the colors can do justice as its much prettier in person.

As with most all my raw edge applique this has its background created just for the image which is then fused in place and quilted with a muslin fabric under just the bird. 

The quilting on the bird is metalic threads, lots of fun and interest here to catch the light.  Once that is quilted I cut away the excess fabric and quilt the whole sandwich and border it.

Garden Jewel is on Etsy now looking for a new garden to brighten. 

No comments:

Post a Comment